Space is at a premium in urban homes so every square inch matters. If you’re lucky to have a balcony, you could convert it into a sit-out to make up for the garden you’ve always wanted. Here’s how.
1. You can plan your sit-out when your apartment is getting constructed by getting special tiles laid, getting the balcony floor water proof, getting electrical points fixed and if you’re receiving the harsh light of the sun, perhaps even an awning. If not, don’t worry. It’s never too late to start.
2. Seating: depending on the size of your balcony, choose furniture - two chairs and a table or a bench. Cane or seasoned wood is best. If you have the luxury of space, consider a day bed or even a swing.
3. Plants: Potted plants can convert even the most boring balcony into an inviting place. You can go with a mix of wall-mounted pots, balcony planters and pots for your foliage. Keep a mix seasonal flowers and perennials.
4. Accessories: Over time you can add accessories to your balcony. Wind chimes, hanging plants, fairy lights, garden accessories, wall brackets etc to give the space character.
5. Weather proof: You can choose to weather proof your balcony by closing it with transparent glass shutters, so you enjoy the rains while you stay dry and warm on the balcony.
6. Privacy: If you want privacy but don’t want to feel walled in, fabricate a mesh and let climbers grow on it. It can shield you from your nosey neighbour and make a pretty neat addition to your balcony.
Stay updated on the go with Times of India News A